Friday 9 July 2010

Nationals Day 2

What a great day on the water. We had three races, two were light and around 10 -12 knots I think. The third was up there at around 17 -18 knots.
We were held by the race officer until the breeze settled down and then were called back after a general recall before race one got under way. From then on the one minute rule was used on every start.
Arnaud broke a shroud just before the start of race 1 and that was him out for that race, At the end of the first lap Mikis Psarofaghis led after a blinding hard right beat with me second and Mike Lennon on my heals, then Ricky Tagg and Richard Lovering. DJ Edwards was going well also. We swapped places a bit, it was as shifty as hell, the kind of shifty that you know you should pull more kicker on but didnt in case while doing so you missed a shift.
I won, Mike was second and I think Ricky was third.
Race two and Arnaud and I had a bit of a battle,him gybing on the gusts and catching me downwind. I had a better beat but boats were coming in from all angles and Paul Hayden and Jason Belben were there or there abouts..
I managed to win and Mike was second, Ricky was third and Arnaud after a frustrating last beat was fourth I think, or Maybe Richard Lovering was.
The final race and the breeze was up. Arnaud got out the line well and was off, I was second and Mike third.
Coming back in was the usual faff but the English Riviera lived up to its name and we sat drinking cofee and watching the world go by.
It was a great day on the water, the race team did a really good job and the four lap races were certainly taxing. From my side I need to tack better and start better.
It was a day for Mach 2's, taking all the top places in each race.
The UK fleet is really on fire, not since '94 have we had this many boats and never have we had this many good sailors coming in from other classes and competing at this event. The racing is tight throught the fleet.
Great times.
S

No comments: